Saturday, January 01, 2011

Phil of math - interesting note

By my nature i am disposed toward a P. Maddy type explanation of basic mathematical objects. That is, that we do interact with mathematical entities, at least the most basic ones (such as natural numbers) by doing such things as counting. That is, our knowledge of the basic parts of math is empirical knowledge.

Tonight I am reading Azzouni's "Metaphysical Myths, Mathematical Practice" and right before we are heading into a dozen pages on Quine / Quine-Putnam (to which i am also well disposed) Azzouni makes the point ...

"Consider Greek geometric practice as compared to that of their Egyptian predecessors. Egyptian geometers apparently did rely on perception to derive their conclusions. This is why they got many things wrong."

It is an off-hand comment in the closing paragraph of a section, so i suspect it could use some research and reinforcing, but it certainly seems true from what i know of the ancient mathematicians.

Thought provoking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ιt is perfect time tο make some ρlans
fοr the futurе and it is tіme to be happy.

I have read this post and іf I сould ӏ desire to suggеst you
some intereѕting things оr ѕuggestiοnѕ.
Pеrhaρs you cоuld wгite next аrtіcles referгing to thiѕ article.
I ωаnt to read more thіngs
about it!

Feеl free to ѕuгf to my ωebsite .

.. Click Me

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I all the time emaileԁ this weblog ρost page tο all my аѕѕociateѕ, as if
like tо rеad it next my contactѕ ωill too.


my wеb pаge :: AmericasCardRoom Promotions

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home