Tuesday, July 26, 2005

more D.L.

" ... my [Communist] 'Party work' has consisted mostly of giving lectures on art to small groups. I say something like this: 'Art during the Middle Ages was communal, unindividual; it came out of a group consciousness. It was without the driving painful individuality of the art of the bourgeois era. And one day, we will leave behind the driving egotism of individual art. We will return to an art which will express not man's self-divisions and separateness from his fellows but his responsibility for his fellows and his brotherhood. Art from the West... ' to use a useful catchphrase '---becomes more and more a shriek of torment from souls recording pain. Pain is becoming our deepest reality ...' I've been saying something like this. About three months ago, in the middle of this lecture, I began to stammer and couldn't finish. I have not given any more lectures. I know what that stammer means."

- Doris Lessing
"The Golden Nootbook"

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just been reading The Golden Notebook myself--copied that very quotation out into my laptop last night...

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home